Pat Watson Memorial Scholarship
During 2009, FOLRR’s Board of Directors researched, funded, and established a Scholarship Fund for library staff.
The Friends awarded their first scholarship funds to the two applicants: Vickie Echternacht and Rebecca Donnelly, both with Loma Colorado Main Library’s Youth Services. The awards were presented during the Friends’ Holiday Party & Volunteer Luncheon on 12/4/2009 at Loma Colorado Main Library.
In August 2010, the Friends’ Board of Directors unanimously voted to rename this scholarship to the Pat Watson Memorial Scholarship.
PURPOSE: National studies and projections indicate that demand for qualified library staff far exceeds supply. This is considered one of the most critical facts for library services at this time. Financial support for education of library staff increases the professional library workforce by encouraging individuals who might otherwise not have the resources for higher education. The Friends of the Library of Rio Rancho’ Pat Watson Memorial Scholarship is designed to encourage professionalism in the library system.
- Annually. This amount may vary from year to year and is determined by board vote.
- Payment will be made directly to the recipient for tuition, fees, books and other learning expenses.
- An employee of the City of Rio Rancho in the Rio Rancho Library System who has passed probation and is in good standing.
- Recipient is requested to attend the annual Friends meeting in April of the year the scholarship is awarded and is asked to submit a report on school activities to the Friends for possible inclusion in their newsletter.
- Pat Watson Memorial Scholarship Application
- Narrative statement of 300 words or less of how this workshop/class relates to your job.
- Must meet application deadline of November 1 of each year:
Friends Board or sub-committee will meet and select scholarship recipient(s).
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
For more information, please contact us via the form below.